Thursday, June 2, 2011

That awkward moment when you step into a communist country.

Location: Outside Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam (My Uncle's house)
Time: 6:03 AM
Date: June 3rd

Let me start off this blog by apologizing to the people who were at Incheon International Airport when I was there yesterday. Yes, I know escalator rails aren't meant to be sat on. Yes, I know I went into every store at least five times. Yes, I know there was that awkward moment when Donk played really loudly on my iPod and everyone stared. But, come on. Six hours of waiting. I could only take so much.

I also want to give a shoutout to Goon Squad: Vietnam. I knew there would be a connection between all of us when we meant at the ATL airport. That bond only grew as we landed in Korea and had to find gate 107. Little did I know that it would be such a painstaking task and that half of our group would end up lost, but we all ended up together. I will never forget you guys (specifically talking to you, boy with the blue plaid on plaid ensemble. I was totes jealous. Not very many people can wear that many shades of blue.)

Now, Dear Vietnam Airlines, can you not be ghetto? I know first impressions are important, and I was definitely offended when I stepped on board and smelled stink. Also, get like Korean Air, five people are not meant to be seated together in a row. That is the opposite of okay. And also, GIVE OUT MORE THAN ONE PAPER CUP OF WATER. I SWEAR TO GOD, IF I HAD PASSED OUT ON BOARD, I WOULD'VE SUED. Dehydration is NOT the business.

And of course, it would have to be Vietnam where you land in a random field, have to take a bus to the airport, use stairs because they don't believe in escalators, and be terrified of doing something wrong and getting arrested. There is so much more I would say, but I'll save it for later when I come back. Going to jail is not on my to-do list for the trip.

And as I rode to my uncle's house and got a good look at the city, I realized one thing.
The fastest way to make someone not take their life in America for granted: send them to a communist, third world country.

That's not to say that this trip is bad. I'm still enjoying every bit of it. My uncle's family is pretty cool and they provided us with a pretty kick ass room (with air conditioning, thank god) and I'm even though it may not have been what I expected, this is where I came from and that's one thing that I can't change.


xxxjohnny.

No comments:

Post a Comment